Programmer – GIS Specialist (CO OP or INTERN)
POSTED: Feb. 24, 2020
Chinook Environmental Services Ltd. (CESL) is in need of an individual to assist in their online web app development; primarily in the GIS portion. This position is partially funded by a Government Grant, and some educational, residency, and other requirements must be met. To qualify, the right candidate must have:
CO OP QUALIFICATIONS (Available ASAP)
- If you currently study at a university or college in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art or Math (STEAM) and Business, you qualify!
- You must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or have Refugee status.
- Students on a work permit or visa are not eligible.
The right candidate will have opportunity to obtain & expand their basic knowledge & skills in web application development.
- Web Application Programming
- Programming Language and skillset development
- Team Development of a functioning web application
Upon initial familiarization with the current database and WebApp, the individual will focus on:
- Updating or integrating a GIS system, which uses Aerial imagery to markup aerial maps.
- Integrate the GIS data into the current database, with storing & retrieval (using local web caching and dB parameters); it is important to have offline capabilities
- calling on various resources to obtain a local library of aerial imageries to assist in offline capabilities.
- Testing will be extremely imporant, to ensure data transfer and integration to other important aspects of the Web Application.
The candidate should
- have very good access to a PC or laptop with excellent internet communication. Location is not important; some office and field visits will be required for meeting/testing on infrequent occurances.
- have proficiency in various communication vectors: email, chat, text, verbal & written.
- have excellent technological skills with PC, mobile devices, email, and any other variety of technology that can enhance efficiency of the position and company as a whole.
The best possible candidate will hold
- positive, inquisitive attitude with intelligence to learn from others as well as their own growth & mistakes, integration of theoretical knowledge and skills.
- Precision & Accuracy, attention to detail.
- Understanding of web applications, GUI and end-user functionality.
- Knowledge in asp.net core framework + web API, angular 2+ framework, Leaflet web mapping applications.
- Have very good understanding of basic GIS principles, with some good understanding of principles of mathematics, environment & rural settings, oil & gas industry, and a variety of other hard science principles.
- A knowledge or willingness to learn about oilfield and Environmental industry is highly valuable.
- Knowledge of various provincial (AB, SK, MB, BC) boundaries and LSD system, as well as Lat/Long.
- Excellent Proficiency in a variety of hardware & software products (MS Office, Adobe, GIS)
- High availability to communicate with management & field personelle
- Systematic, deductive problem-solving skillsets.
- a customer-focus, networking and company-growth through positive attitude will help this position grow into a longer-term opportunity and/or career.
- Experience or familiarity with the (upstream) oil & gas industry is an asset.
Currently, this is preferred for a Co-op Position. The Co-Op will be a minimum of 1 of 6+ weeks/term.
Hours are FLEXIBLE; dedication of a minimum 10hrs/week is preferred, but up to 40 hrs./week is possible if your schedule allows.
Salary is dependant on experience and suitability of the candidate: $18- $25/hr. depending on Education & Experience.
There may be some opportunity for permanent placement; depending on the success of the WebApplication.
Please send resumes to : firstname.lastname@example.org Reference: P-GIS #20200224